Thursday, December 9, 2010

Welcome To My World of Food




One word I would use to describe myself is Foodie. I talk about it all the time.  When I'm at work, when I get home, when I wake up in the morning, and when I go to sleep.  I think I might think about food more than sex!! Lol.  
My love for food began at a very young age.  I remember being in the kitchen with my mother snapping string beans, watching her fry chicken and making various other things for dinner.  But I believe my true love for food began when I was in the 3rd grade.  I was in Mrs. Natonicks class at Calvary Lutheran School in Silver Spring, Md.  Mrs. Natonick provided the entire class with string bean plants that we cared for in our classroom.  When the appropriate time came we all took our plants home.  I remember my mother and I planting my plant in the garden next to our house.  This plant was the beginning of that garden and the beginning of my love for food. 
             The plant grew for weeks and weeks before it was time to pick.  I remember snapping the beans with my mother in the kitchen.  I fried some bacon in the microwave, took the grease and put it in a pot with some water, salt, and pepper and added my beans.  I remember thinking those were the best beans I’d ever had in my life.  Probably because it was the first thing I ever made.  For whatever reason, it sparked a new love for food that has stuck with me to this day.
            Cooking has always been therapeutic to me.  When I’m sad, I cook.  When I’m happy, I cook.  When I entertain, I cook.  My family, friends, and co-workers all know about my love for cooking and if you meet me, within the first five minutes you’ll know about how much I love food.  I love eating it, smelling it, touching it, cooking it, tasting it, dining out, and experimenting with different foods from different cultures.
            I am a true foodie.  I’ve never had any real formal culinary training besides the food channel, but that doesn’t make my love food any less valid. 
            This blog is meant to be fun.  I intend to share with you many of my favorite recipes, things I’ve seen on TV and tried, give wine recommendations, as well as provide restaurant reviews.  I currently reside in the Atlanta area so most of my reviews will be based out of that area.  Whether it’s fine dining or a food stand, I’m going to share it. I want people to be able to come to this site and believe that the information that I am sharing with them is real.
            So now that all the formalities are out of the way I want you to sit back, relax and enjoy the food.  This first recipe is one of my favorites.  I guarantee that if you make it anybody who tastes it will be asking you for more and eventually asking you to make it again….or at least how to make it. Lol


Jerk Chicken Pasta

Ingredients
1/2 box Farfalle pasta cooked al dente
Fresh Spinach (1 bag)
1 14oz Jar sundried Tomatoes in Oil chopped
Mushrooms (optional)
3 tbsp. Pesto Sauce
2 tbsp. Wet Jerk Seasoning**
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1lb. Boneless Skinless chicken breast chopped into bite size pieces

**Do not use dry jerk seasoning or liquid jerk seasoning.  These do not provide the same flavor.  The jerk seasoning needs to have the consistency of a rub. It is usually found in a jar and has a dark color. I recommend using Walkerswood Traditional Jerk Seasoning.

Chop chicken into bite size pieces and marinate in jerk seasoning for 30 minutes.  In a large saucepan add olive oil to prevent chicken from sticking.  Begin cooking chicken over medium heat until chicken is ¾ cooked through.  Add Spinach, sun-dried tomatoes in oil, and mushrooms.  Cook until Spinach has cooked down and wilted. Add pesto sauce and stir.  Let simmer for 3-4 minutes.  Add Heavy cream and parmesan cheese.  Let simmer for 5 minutes.  Add pasta and stir together.  Turn off the heat and let them rest together for 2-3 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!! Serves 4.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the blog and you know I support the movement! Can't wait to taste, try, and share these meals and stories. Yeaaa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey mel this blog is the sh**! it has made me so hungry i'm overly excited and i cant wait to get home and try this recipe out. sun dried tomatoes here i come!

    ReplyDelete